Saturday, January 29, 2011

Book Review: Carschooling

I have had this book for quite a while now and absolutely LOVE it.  Carschooling is a book that I find I am often recommending, not only to homeschoolers, but also to parents whose children are in traditional school settings as well.  I suggest to those who find themselves traveling often as well as those who take trips across town a few times a week.  It is full of fun and unique ideas that cover a wide range of subjects including: language arts, math, social sciences, science, geography, visual and performing arts, foreign languages, physical education and health, and even recess.  There is also a chapter that shares a bunch of ideas that do not fall in the traditional school subjects, such as vocational training and home economics.  For those who are new to the concept of carschooling, there is a chapter to introduce you to the ins and outs of learning on the run as well as chapter to help you get your vehicle and yourself organized so that every trip is a learning opportunity.

We used this book extensively on our cross country trip in the summer of 2009.  The family loved playing several of the games suggested in the book, but especially enjoyed License Plate Equations and Pave the Way With Palindromes.  We also discovered a love for audio books during this road trip and the book has a wonderful list of resources as well as some ideas for turning the stories into additional lessons.  My favorite part of this book is that many of the activities need little to no equipment and can be played time and time again whenever the feeling strikes.  I also like that there is something for everyone in the book, including a section on Road Kill Zoology, complete with the warning that it is not for the squeamish. 

We are preparing for yet another cross country trip in the late spring and I will not be packing this book.  Yes, you read that right.  I will not be packing it, because it's home is in my van, right under the front passenger seat.  We use it ALL the time, every time we are going to be in the van for an extended period of time.  On our shorter trips, we often find ourselves playing the games we already know from the book. 

It is rare for me to HIGHLY recommend any book, as I am a big fan of borrowing from the library to save both money and resources.  However, there are certain books I insist on owning simply due to the amount that I use them and the value I get from it.  Carschooling is one of those books. It is so chock full of ideas and information, that if it did not have a home in my van, it would be shelved with my reference books. Of all the book reviews I have done, I HIGHLY recommend this book to EVERY parent, homeschooler or not, whether they travel or not.


***Disclaimer***
I did receive a copy of this book for free from the author in exchange for this review. However, this review is my own personal opinion and is unaffected by others. I had originally borrowed this book from the library and loved it so much I was preparing to buy it when this opportunity was presented to me.

No comments: