Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Time Travel Tuesday: Martin Luther King Jr.

In the spirit of disclosure, I wanted to let everyone know that I received a comment from someone asking me to share a link to a flyer they had created regarding Martin Luther King Jr's desire to inform Americans, and encourage them to fight against, global poverty. I downloaded the flyer myself, but rejected publishing the comment due to inappropriate language within the flyer. I also felt that the information contained in the flyer was a bit too deep for elementary aged children. However, if you are interested in the flyer, you can e-mail the author at Angie@WhatNewsShouldBe.org.

Having said all that, as I said in yesterday's lesson, I will be combining math and history this week by creating a timeline (posted yesterday) and then doing the math questions. I also will be reading a few books that I picked up at the library this week. Happy Birthday, Martin Luther King Jr. by Jean Marzollo
is especially nice to read to the younger ones and puts Dr. King's life in terms they will better understand. I've Seen the Promised Land: The Life of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. by Walter Dean Myers is a bit more intensive and would be better if read alone or broken up and read over several days.

Here are some helpful websites as well:
EDSITEment

Education World

Dr. King timeline

No comments: