As yesterday was Election Day, I have chosen to study the election process this week.
- (Due to the personal nature of elections) Think of 2 or 3 people you would like to see run for president and then poll your friends and family to see which of them they would like to see as president. Make a pie graph showing your results.
- In 21 states, John McCain received the majority (vocabulary word) of the votes and Barack Obama received the majority of the votes in 27 states (as of right now, 2 states are still processing results). Make a bar graph showing these results.
- Barack Obama won the US presidential election with 63,858,695 votes. John McCain had 56,376,354 votes. How many more votes did President-elect (vocabulary word) Obama have?
- (If you are interested in teaching about the electoral college, these would be good lead ins.) John McCain received 163 electoral votes and Barack Obama received 349. How many more electoral votes did Barack Obama receive?
- It takes 270 electoral votes to win the US presidency. How many more electoral votes did John McCain need? How many "extra" electoral votes did Barack Obama receive?