Monday, March 8, 2010

Another change

Due to a change in our personal way of homeschooling, I will be making a change here as well. I will still be listing unit studies, but the entire unit will be listed on one day (1-2 units a week), with product reviews and other information that I find useful as a homeschool posting as I find them.

I have made up lists of 10-15 different topics for each month of the year. Generally, the topics "fit" in during the month I placed them. I then allowed my children to each pick 1 topic for each week. Work is assigned based on that topic and each of the following topics is covered: Reading, Writing, Math, Science, Service (a service related activity or project), Vocabulary/Spelling, Health, Social Studies, Domestic Arts, Art, Music, and Language Arts. We also cover Religion, Spanish, and American Sign Language, but I will not be covering them here unless there is a great demand and I can find a way to do so (the sign language may be difficult). Gym is also covered in our homeschool, but it is usually pretty generic (30 minutes of activity each day), so I will not include it here unless I find something that specifically relates to the topic (such as learning Irish dance steps when studying Ireland).

Also, you will find that I use Enchanted Learning often. This is a subscription website. For those who do not have a subscription, I highly recommend it, but I will also try to find similar substitutes that are free.

With this change, I am hoping that I will be able to post more regularly and cover more subjects for you. I will also include the grade level of the child the topic was prepared for, however, I always caution that you should adjust to the level the child is at. My children may be further ahead or behind than your child in any given area and I want you to get the most out of this as possible. Please let me know if there are any other changes I can make that will help you.

No comments: